About 40 kilometers from the center of HCMC, Long An Province’s Can Duoc District, Tram Cot (hundred pillars) House is striking as an ancient work of sculptural architecture which was recognized as one of the national historical and cultural relics in 1997 by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism.
Built during five years between 1898 and 1903, the house was meticulously carved with precious woods such as: kingwood, redwood, ebony and iron wood in the style of houses of rich families in the Central Highlands. Over 100 years old, the house is preserved as what it used to be.
Specific feature in style carved wood is next to describe the style of skiful precise is stylized liberal style make it more plentiful and lively. All are designed in harmony of architectural features as possible to solemn and full of magnificent architecture and sculpture traditional. The House was recognized as a historical – cuture in 1997 by Ministry of Culture – Information.
The house is located on an area of 882m2 and surrounded by a garden area of over 4,400m2. Included spaces and two roofs. The pillars and walls were carved skillfully as bas-reliefs with images of dragons, phoenixes, turtles and lions and flowers. The house now has 120 pillars, comprising 68 round pillars and 52 square pillars; it originally had 160 pillars when it was built, said Tran Thi Ngo, wife of Ngo.
Inside the house, many wooden utensils such as tables, beds and trestle-beds as well as plates which are intricately carved and many ceramic objects of the Nguyen Dynasty are still carefully kept.